Monday 23 August 2010

Paying tax in France

If you have been in France for more than 183 days in a Calendar year you may be liable to pay tax in France.

The French tax department didn't send me any papers asking me to pay tax, I had to go and let them know I existed first. I had to gather a list of all my accounts and their balances as of the 31st December the year before. Additionally I compiled a page with all my income from Interest and Salary wherever in the world it was earned. Then I went to the tax office and told them I needed help declaring my taxes. They were very helpful.

TIP: If you have earned money in another currency, don't bother converting the amount into Euros until you get to the tax office because they have their own published conversion rate.

The French tax year follows the calendar year.

Apparently there are other rules that determine French tax liability. Read about them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment